Naturesoft – Home Product Solutions

Call Us Now: 1-800-888-7718​​

Mold Removal using Hydrogen Peroxide

Mold (mildew) is a fungus that grows in moist conditions. It thrives in damp places of your home, such as the basement and near leaks. 

In Europe, North America, Australia, Japan, and India, 10% to 50% of households have major mold problems. Inhaling mold spores from inside and outside your home can cause health concerns such as asthma, allergy symptoms, and breathing difficulties. 

Mold may be removed from your home using a variety of household goods. One of these products, hydrogen peroxide, may already be in your medicine cabinet. 

Continue reading to understand when you can eliminate mold with hydrogen peroxide and when you should seek expert aid. 

Is it true that hydrogen peroxide kills mold? 

Because of its antibacterial qualities, hydrogen peroxide is widely used to disinfect open wounds. According to research from ResearchTrusted Source, hydrogen peroxide can kill bacteria, viruses, fungus, and mold spores. 

When hydrogen peroxide is introduced to these microbes, it destroys them by breaking down their essential components, such as proteins and DNA. 

Researchers investigated the ability of hydrogen peroxide to suppress the growth of six species of common household fungi in a 2013 study. 

The researchers determined that hydrogen peroxide (together with bleach, 70% isopropyl alcohol, and two commercial solutions) can limit fungal development on solid surfaces but is unlikely to kill mold on porous surfaces. 

Mold can infiltrate porous surfaces such as wood, ceiling tiles, and fabrics, requiring replacing the surface.

Hydrogen peroxide is safe to use on a variety of solid surfaces, including: 

  • Counters 
  • tabletops 
  • glass 
  • walls 
  • the vicinity of your shower 

When should you not use hydrogen peroxide to get rid of mold and mildew? 

As previously stated, mold development on porous surfaces such as textiles and wood is unlikely to be inhibited by hydrogen peroxide. Suppose mold is discovered on bath rugs, wooden walls, or other porous surfaces. In that case, the object or surface must be properly disposed of according to local regulations. 

Some natural textiles, such as wool, can be bleached with hydrogen peroxide. 

Hydrogen peroxide is generally safe on solid surfaces and even most synthetic materials. Make sure to clean up all of the hydrogen peroxides after you’ve finished clearing the mold to avoid unintentional bleaching. 

How to Kill Mold with Hydrogen Peroxide 

To avoid coming into touch with mold spores while cleaning mold in your house, wear protective gloves, goggles, and a mask. 

Here’s how to use hydrogen peroxide to remove mold from solid surfaces: 

Fill a spray bottle halfway with 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (the average proportion found at pharmacies). Spray it all over the moldy area until it’s totally covered.

Allow for a 10-minute cooling period or until the hydrogen peroxide stops bubbling. 

Scrub away the mold and hydrogen peroxide using a towel or soft brush. Scrub softly to avoid hurting the surface beneath the mold, then scrub more vigorously as needed. 

Wipe the surface with a clean cloth or rag to dry it when you’re done. 

If required, repeat the process. 

Mold can be removed with various home items, including hydrogen peroxide. Another excellent approach to remove mold from your home is to use vinegar. 

It’s crucial, though, not to combine hydrogen peroxide with vinegar. 

DANGER 

Peracetic acid is a poisonous chemical that can hurt your eyes, skin, or lungs when hydrogen peroxide reacts with vinegarTrusted Source. 

To get rid of mold in their houses, many individuals use bleach. Although bleach can be used to remove mold from solid surfacesTrusted Source, prolonged exposure to bleach fumes can cause irritation to your eyes, lungs, and skin. These gases are especially bothersome to people who suffer from asthma or other respiratory illnesses. 

Mold-removal methods that aren’t traditional 

Along with hydrogen peroxide, the following everyday household items may also aid in mold removal. 

Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic.

Tea tree oil is derived from Melaleuca alternifolia, a tiny tree native to Australia. Terpinene-4-ol, an antibacterial molecule found in the oil, may suppress fungus development. 

According to a 2015 study 

Tea tree oil was proven to be more effective than alcohol, vinegar, and two commercial cleaners at inhibiting the growth of two common varieties of mold, according to Trusted Source. 

Mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil with around a cup of water or a cup of vinegar to utilize it. Before scrubbing, spray it immediately on the mold and let it sit for an hour. 

Vinegar 

Household vinegar typically includes between 5 to 8% acetic acid, which can kill some molds by disturbing their pH equilibrium. 

Spray undiluted white vinegar on the moldy area and let it soak for about an hour before cleaning. 

It’s critical to avoid combining vinegar and hydrogen peroxide once more. Soda (baking) 

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) has antibacterial characteristics and can kill bacteria, fungus, and other tiny organisms. Baking soda was proven to reduce mildew growth on hazelnuts in a 2017 study. 

Spray a patch of mold in your home with a mixture of a tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of water. Allow at least 10 minutes for the variety to sit. 

The seed extract of grapefruit 

Grapefruit seed oil includes several chemicals that may destroy home mold, including citric acid and flavonoids. 

According to a report published in 2019,

According to Trusted Source, grapefruit seed oil was found to be efficient in eliminating Candida albicans from dentures. 

Pour 10 drops of the extract into a cup of water and firmly shake. Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes after spraying it on the moldy area. 

When should you seek expert assistance? 

Suppose the moldy area in your home is greater than 10 square feet. In that case, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends hiring a professional to clean it. 

You should engage a professional cleaner if you have mold in your air conditioning, heating, or ventilation systems. 

You should avoid conducting the cleanup yourself if you have a known allergy to mold or a health condition that could be aggravated by breathing in mold. 

How to Keep Mold Out of Your Home 

Taking actions to control moisture in your home will help you avoid mold development from getting started in the first place. The following acts, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, may be beneficial: 

  • Maintain a humidity level of less than 50% in your home.
  • In the kitchen and bathroom, use exhaust fans. 
  • After a flood, your home should be totally dry in 24 to 48 hours. 
  • When cleaning your bathroom, use mold-killing solutions. 
  • Soaked carpets and upholstery should be dried or replaced right away.
  • Mold inhibitors should be added to your paints. 

Takeaway 

Mold may be removed from solid surfaces in your home with hydrogen peroxide. However, if you have a mold problem of more than 10 square feet, the EPA advises hiring a professional cleaner.

Avoid completing the cleanup yourself if you have a mold allergy, respiratory problem, or other health problems that could be aggravated by mold exposure.